The Club are based at Wheldon Road, the stadium over the years has had many names some linked to the Club’s sponsors. Currently it is called The Mend A Hose Stadium. For many people it’s just referred to as Wheldon Road. The Club is due to move to a new purpose built stadium in Glasshoughton.
History of Wheldon Road
The Wheldon Road ground was first home to Castleford Town Football Club, which moved to the new facility for the 1908-09 season.
As the fortunes of the Club declined in the early years of the twentieth century, the Rugby League club acquired the site in 1927, having been elected to the Rugby League a year earlier. In November 1934, a major fire destroyed the main stand, which could seat around 500 spectators.
Just four months later, however, in March 1935, Wheldon Road had its record official attendance as 25,449 packed the ground for a third round Challenge Cup tie against Hunslet. In March 1967, another cup game, a replayed tie with Hull KR, played in the afternoon attracted an official crowd of 22,582. However, it is said that as many as 8,000 extra spectators found their way in as gates and entrances gave way to spectators trying to get in to see the match.
The 1960s saw significant ground developments. Both the Princess Street and Wheldon Road ends had roofed stands. In addition, the standing paddock area at the front section of the main stand was replaced by seats. Floodlights were installed for the 1965/66 season and the Ground hosted a World Cup match in 1970 as Great Britain took on France.
The Virtual Museum will be on display in the Five Towns Stadium, it is expected that the new stadium will open in 2019. The 13,300 capacity stadium is part of a £40million development situated just off junction 32 of the M62, with Castleford’s ground set to be at the centre of the build.